Saturday, June 28, 2008

Noun Flashcards

Today at work I've been making flashcards. Whenever I learn a language, I seem to have the best vocabulary growth with flashcards and steady, daily practice. I can learn 20 words a day without much effort via flashcards.

Of course, the more grammatically complex words and uses don't really work with simple flashcards, it does help build my noun repertoire; most words people use are nouns. Even with no understanding of a language, you can point and say a noun. So I'll use the flashcards this summer to build my list of nouns.

I'm using the Hippocrene Concise Dictionary "Farsi-English English-Farsi (Persian)" which has 8,400 total entries. At least with American books, I know they use word frequency lists--lists of the most common words used in a language, and then take the X-amount of most used words and put them in the dictionary. I'm just going to go down the list starting at A, and make a flashcard for whatever word I don't already know. I'll skip the grammar and "guts" of the language, and focus on only Nouns.

Dictionary I use

Online Dictionary I use

No comments: